Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spreading the Love

Not only am I an avid cupcake eater/blogger, I am also an Aunt.  I have one adorable niece, and 3 amazing nephews (one more niece due mid September!!!).  Unfortunately, they all live in different states.  I have 2 in Ohio and 2 all the way in Florida.  With the distance between us we only get to see each other a few times a year.  It has been a particularly long time since I have seen all of them so I wanted to send some sweets so they wouldn't forget their Aunt Jenny!  
Aren't they the cutest?!

I decided to make standard chocolate and vanilla cupcakes with a vanilla buttercream.  When dealing with kids under 5 I figure I should keep it simple.  I also thought they might enjoy the pretty colors and sprinkles! 

I just used a standard sour cream recipe for both:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour unbleached
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

(for the chocolate version you will need all the same ingredients, plus 4 oz semisweet chocolate)

Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. 
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until creamy
Add the butter and beat until combined
Add the vanilla and beat on low for a couple minutes until all ingredients are combined
Slowly add in the flour mixture little bits at a time beating on low until all ingredients are well blended. 
Then add the sour cream and....yep, beat until combined. 

Now if you are making these chocolate, melt the 4 oz until smooth.  I used Baker's chocolate and just microwaved, but if you want to get fancy you canuse a double broiler.  Once the chocolate is melted add to the batter and mix together.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees (for large cupcakes roughly 20 minutes, for minis roughly 16 minutes)

Let them cool then frost.
Then there was the dilemma of getting the cupcakes from Chicago to Ohio/Florida....
I found these great push pop containers on Cup Kate's Event Design (cupkateseventdesign.com).  These were perfect because I could fit 2 minis in each.  Unfortunately, I was told they didnt hold up that well.  I am assuming it had to do with how I shipped them.  Next time I would prob put them in a sturdy box rather than a UPS package.  I am also thinking they might travel better if the icing was not on top?

Regardless, I think these containers are too cute.  They would also be great for a birthday party/baby shower favor. 

Enjoy!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment