Thursday, September 8, 2011

Little Disappointing

Still determined to find a quality cupcake in Western Michigan I popped into Little Pearl Cupcake in Grand Rapids.  Ayy, well let's just say it was rough from the beginning.  One of the best parts of walking into a bakery is the smell.  Walking into Little Pearl there was no scent of sugar, chocolate, or anything baking related...  This had me confused, so I asked if the cupcakes were made on site.  Nope!  They are made elsewhere, shipped to the store and then iced.  I found that piece of information to be rather disappointing, but went on ordering. 


I ordered the Churro and my friend Lindsay went with the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel - Chocolate cake with dulce de leche filling, peanut butter frosting, topped with caramel, chocolate and crushed pretzel. Cake - it was dry and had a strange flavor to it.  I can't put my finger on it, but it wasn't right.  Icing - I really enjoyed the peanut butter icing.  It actually tasted like peanut butter and I thought it went really well with the caramel/chocolate drizzle and the pretzel.  Presentation - it definitely had case appeal.  Creativity - I don't think peanut butter chocolate is creative, but adding the pretzel gave it a nice twist (pun intended).  Overall happiness - average.  I liked the icing and the concept, but the cake had such a strange flavor that it totally threw me off. 
Churro
Churro - Cinnamon spice cake with vanilla buttercream icing topped with dulce de leche and a piece of churro.  Cake - Not the best.  Could have definitely have used more cinnamon.  Icing - thick and had a weird taste to it.  Maybe there is some random ingredient they added to the choc cake and this icing that just didn't taste right??  Also, it said vanilla bean icing on the menu, but I didn't see a single bean speck in the mix.  I thought the churro was okay.  Presentation - Thought it looked great in the case.  Creativity - Even though the execution wasn't great, it was still a creative recipe.  I think this is the first churro cupcake I have seen.  Overall happiness - disappointed.  I really didn't love this cupcake at all. 

I found the overall shop to be a letdown.  First - the lack of sugary aroma.  They should really pick up a vanilla scented diffuser.  It would make a huge difference.  Second - They only offered 6-7 flavors.  This was not a full bakery - just cupcakes.  The cupcakes are not even baked on site and they can only produce 7 options??  Finally - no place to sit.  Not a single chair inside or bench outside.  We had to drive across the street to Starbucks to enjoy the cupcakes.  Talk about the lazy man's cupcake shop.  I won't be back. 

While in Michigan we were able to attend the Britney Spears concert.  Yes, Britney Spears.  I had no clue what to think about this show!  First impression - I was not dressed appropriately.  I thought I was right on track in my sequined J. Crew tank, but when all the high school girls arrived in miniskirts and tube tops I instantly felt ancient.  However, not as ancient as Brit Brit.  She was TERRIBLE.  So washed up.  Clearly she was not singing any of the songs live, but she wasn't even dancing.  She whipped her hair around a couple times and did a couple twirls but that was about it.  Complete let down!
The opening act was DJ Pauly D from Jersey Shore.  I never watch the show so I had no clue how he would perform.  Surprisingly, I LOVED him.  He was too cute and had so much energy!  Watching him made me want to go back to Vegas and hit the clubs.  I loved his Italian lighting as well.  The entire time Brit was performing I kept wishing they would cut her off and bring back Pauly D.  
Overall, not the best trip.  I won't be returning to Little Pearl and def will not go to another Britney Spears concert.  If Pauly D and I happen to cross paths again I will absolutely check him out!

xo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment