Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Special: Week 2

I realized this weekend that Starbucks and wine are very similar in my life.  One gets me through the mornings and the other gets me through the evenings.  I have enjoyed the progression of both over the years.  When I first started drinking wine I was a big fan of White Zinfandel...straight out of the box.
I then progressed from this classy blush to white wine.
I then moved to red (love).  I remember the exact moment I made the switch.  I was at a wine bar in Columbus with one of my friends and ordered a pinot grigio.  It was TERRIBLE!  Tasted like I bit into a piece of wood.  They were having a special on one of their bottles of merlot, so I decided to try it.  Love at first sip.  I now love Pinot Noir.  Specifically those from Willamette, OR.  Actually any red pretty much works for me.  
When I discovered Starbucks I started with their frappuccinos.
Quickly graduating to Lattes...Vanilla during the regular season, pumpkin spice in the fall, and gingerbread in the winter.
Now, my drink of choice.  Black coffee - preferably iced.  Don't even think about sweetening it.  
I do tend to back track occasionally.  On a hot summer day I enjoy a cool glass of white wine while dining on a patio.  We are in the midst of pumpkin spice season, but the lattes are too much for me.  I have been ordering Pumpkin Spice mistos which are perfect.  I am also a sucker for wine labels.  I know they are irrelevant to what is inside the bottle, but I enjoy buying wine with a cute label.  At Starbucks I love when they bring out the red cups!  Even though I HATE winter (yes, I realize I live in Chicago), the cups get me excited for the season.
Have you ever known anyone to send back a bottle of wine at a restaurant?  I hate the whole routine.  It is always so awkward.  Even if I don't love the bottle I don't think I could send it back.  I would feel ridiculous.  A small part of me would love to do it once to see how others would react.  Spit out the wine and say something absurd like, "these tannins are terrible, tastes like piss" then shake my head in disgust.  It'd be a great first date move if the guy was terrible.

Have a great week!
J

*photos thanks to google images

No comments:

Post a Comment