Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Special: Week 1

I love this time of year.  The weather is just perfect for my satin tank and cardigan uniform, it is apple pie season, pumpkin spice lattes are back, and for a few weeks my favorite sports are both in season.  Baseball is just now winding down (another sad year for the Reds) and football is kicking off (pun intended).  I am a realistic Cincinnati fan and have full expectations this will be a rough year for the Bengals, but as always I will stand by them. 


While reflecting on the past few football seasons The Sports Gal popped into my head.  For those of you that don't know The Sports Gal, she is the wife of Bill Simmons - The Sports Guy.  A few years back he wondered if there was rhyme or reason to picking football games.  He asked his wife (not very knowledgeable on the teams) to pick games each week to see who would finish with a better season.  She agreed to this, but only if she could write in his column each week about any subject of her choice.  I found her to be highly entertaining.  So, I decided this football season I would leave Sundays open to write about anything that pops into my head that week. 


Welcome to your first Sunday Special!


Gowing up in Cincinnati I am a huge Reds and Bengals fan.  Unfortunately they are tough teams to watch and cheer for each losing year.  One thing I have never really gotten into is college football.  A lot of people in my family are Ohio State fans, but I never got on that bandwagon.  I decided this year I would pick a college team to watch.  After much back and forth I settled on the Texas Longhorns.  I travled to Austin quite a bit this year and absolutely fell in love with the city.  Oddly enough my youngest brother is also a fan of the Longhorns.  He is only 15 so I have no idea how that happened.  I just ordered my first Texas shirt and am very excited to see what this season has in store! 


I would also like to thank Starbucks for their Pumpkin Spice Latte.  I am a loyal iced coffee drinker until Labor Day.  I absolutely can't resist the pumpkin spice.  Overall, I think I am just a sucker for limited edition items.  There was a point where I had close to six cans of febreze because I couldn't pass up the new limited edition scent.  Disney tried to catch on to that trend by rereleasing the classic movies like Little Mermaid and Cinderella, but only for a limited time.  The loop hole to their plan is the internet.  If I want to get Aladdin on DVD I am not going to wait until they "pull it out of the vault".  Apple also does a nice job with their limited releases.  Instant gratification is key.  I will admit I stood outside of their store for 3 hours waiting for the iPad 2.  I didn't NEED it at all but I could not bear the thought of ordering it online and waiting several weeks for it to arrive.  Marketers should love me since I always fall victim to these schemes.  Maybe I love football because it is so limited.  I only get a few weeks out of the year to enjoy it so i have to take in as much as I can get.  


Enjoy NFL week 1!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment