Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sprinkles in the Windy City

Ever since I started Batter Up people have been RAVING about Sprinkles cupcakes (www.sprinkles.com).  I have had Sprinkles in the past and honestly wasn't that impressed.  However, I am throwing all past opinions out the window and starting fresh.  Sprinkles originally opend in Beverly Hills and they now have 10 additional locations throughout the US.  One of them being here in Chicago. 


I had dinner plans last night and felt that a bottle of red and some cupcakes were the perfect contribution to a homemade feast.  I love the atmosphere when I walk into Sprinkles.  It is exactly what I expect out of a cupcakery.  Entering the door to rows of beautiful cupcakes, bright colors, and thats it!  No fluff.  I was craving peanut butter, so I decided to get two of the Peanut Butter Chocalate cakes (I didnt want to run into the same dilemma as the bacon cupcake where I was barely able to steal a bite).
Peanut Butter Chocolate
1)The cake - peanut butter cake with chocolate chips.  It was fine.  I liked the peanut butter flavor and the fact that it had actual chocolate chips in the mix, but the cake itself was kind of dry.  Peanut butter can be tough to work with and I picked them up at 6PM so I'll cut a little slack (but just a little).  2)Icing - Milk Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting topped with Sprinkles!  I liked the frosting a lot.  Nothing better than a great milk chocolate frosting done right.  I could have done without the sprinkles on top BUT the name of the cupcakery is Sprinkles so obviously it makes sense.  3) Presentation - perfect!  Simple.  Just a nice layer of frosting with another full layer of sprinkles.  They are displayed in the case in a way that makes you want to buy every variety because they look so delicious.  I love the cardboard box with logo sticker.  The box had cut outs inside so our cupcakes were still in tact after my train ride.  4) creativity - Peanut Butter Chocolate isn't the most creative..  You are hearing this from someone that has been to a number of cupcakeries, so I see a lot of cakes.  PBC isn't everywhere, but I'd say at least 1 out of 3 shops have a peanut butter variety.  I mean, even Starbucks carries a Peanut Butter Chocolate cupcake! 5) Overall Happiness - meh, about what I was expecting.  I wasn't blown away which is unfortunate for all the hype they get.  My hope is that this blog will make it big time and people will realize cupcakeries like Sweet Mandy B's (Chicago) and Delish (Austin) are where it's at.  They deserve way more recognition. 

There are little things about Sprinkles that I do love: 1) They create their own wooden sporks to go with the cupcakes.  Unless it is a mini cake all cupcakes should be eaten with a fork, so I love that they recognize this and have designed their own utencil.  2) They offer dog cakes!  I'm a lover of canines and think it is a phenomonal idea to make a treat for pups so they dont feel left out. 

I am sure I will give Sprinkles another chance, but not in Chicago. 

1 comment:

  1. I've got at least 2 good places for you to try next time you're in Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete