Monday, April 4, 2011

Everything's Bigger in Texas

Not in the cupcake world.  While in Dallas I stumbled upon The Cupcakery (www.thecupcakery.com).  I was instantly a fan when I walked in because almost all of their varieties also have a mini option. I absolutely love tiny food: mini cookies - amazing, tiny tacos - perfect, auntie annes pretzel bites - duh.  Since there were tiny options I was able to taste 2 flavors: strawberry shortcake and a yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  I love fruity cupcakes because they  remind me of spring/summer so that was an easy choice. Yellow cake with chocolate icing has been my favorite dessert since I was a kid so you will probably see me pick that flavor often.  Like Chicago, I will rate them individually.  




STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE  1) the cake - it was moist and flavorful. I thought it was baked just the right amount of time.  2) icing - eh.  Not impressed. It was a heavy strawberry flavored cream frosting.  If anything I would say there was just too much strawberry.  If they used a vanilla buttercream this cupcake would have MUCH better! 3) presentation - well they also come in a Chinese take-out box like the more cupcakes so that was a disappointment.  I prefer something a little more unique.  I think they could have been less jazzy with the icing since it was such a small surface 4) creativity - mediocre at best. It was strawberry on strawberry and the flavor wasn't a knockout so I would have liked to see a little more - perhaps actual strawberries in the center 5) overall happiness - disappointed with my selection. 




YELLOW WITH CHOCOLATE ICING  1)the cake - same as the strawberry. Perfect texture decent flavor.  If you can't get a yellow cupcake right you may as well just close up shop.  2)icing - not right.  This combo should have a creamy milk chocolate frosting but instead they served a thicker darkish chocolate flavor.  It was way too rich to go on such a tiny cake 3)presentation - this was okay. A simple chocolate swirl topped with some white sprinkles.  I wasn't overly impressed but I also wasn't disappointed 4) creativity - there isn't much room to work here since with was a classic choice.  5)overall happiness - not good.  I really had high hopes for these tiny cakes but once again was left dissatisfied.




I loved the concept of having small and large versions, but in the end they didn't do it for me.  Initially I had no future plans to return to The Cupcakery, but after looking at their website and seeing some of their seasonal flavors my plans have changed.  Maybe I made a poor choice, so I will be sure to stop in again to try one of their flavors of the month. They also have a shop in Vegas so maybe I should head west to see if they make em right in Sin City


Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment