Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cincinnati Redemption

So I got to thinking about my Cincy blunder, and I hate that I started off with a bad cupcake (especially from my hometown).  Cincinnati is home to some of my favorite eats outside of the cupcake world and since the cupcake wasn’t so great I will share some of my other dishes with you that I consider top notch. 

First would be the hot dogs at Senate http://www.senatepub.com/.  There is nothing better than a hot dog while watching a baseball game, but in the off season I had to get my fix elsewhere. Senate opened maybe a year or so ago in Over the Rhine (OTR). OTR was once known as one of the most dangerous hoods in Cincinnati but is now the home to many hipsters rocking plaid shirts and shopping organic.  I can’t complain because these acoustic-loving, skinny-jean-wearing folk bring along super trendy and unique restaurants.  I always go with the Trailer Park (sans slaw).  I have been tempted numerous times to try the dog of the day, but I would hate to be disappointed if it didn’t match up to the Trailer Park so I order the exact same thing EVERY TIME.  My friend Dusty went with the Croque Madame – I am sure it is delish, but I am not a fan of runny eggs.  They also have AMAZING truffle fries (not pictured because my friend Alyson ate all of them.  Seriously, they are that good we had to order a second batch).  A fun fact for you – Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport sells more hot dogs than any single location in the world – more than 2 million a year!

Dog Menu




Trailer Park (sans slaw)
Croque Madame













Another Cincinnati favorite would be my dad’s biscuits and gravy with cheesy eggs.  He has been whipping them up since I can remember and I haven’t been able to find a restaurant that makes em better!  Obviously most of you won’t be able to try this delightful dish, but if you are craving some of the best biscuits and gravy in the country I’m sure he’d be happy to have you over.  I believe my undying love for baseball, specifically the Reds, came from my dad.  I don’t think he knows another radio station outside of 700WLW.  As a child I have fond memories of listening to the great Joe Nuxholl and Marty Brennaman call the games.  


Vintage Marty & Joe
Amazingness
My trip home was cut a little short so I decided to bring a few more Cincinnati favorites back to the Windy City to share with some Chicagoans.  I obviously had to bring some Montgomery Inn ribs http://montgomeryinn.com/!  So amazingly delicious that it was worth having the security guard give me a hard time for carrying 3 slabs of ribs in my suitcase!!  If you love BBQ then you must treat yourself to a night at Montgomery Inn (don’t forget to order a side of saratoga chips).  Montgomery Inn also has a concession stand at Great American Ball Park!  Here you can indulge in their pulled chicken or pork sandwiches and Saratoga chips.  (GABP carries other local favorites including Larosa’s Pizza, Skyline Chili, and United Dairy Farmers Ice Cream).  If you don’t live in Cincinnati and have no trips planned you can turn that frown upside down because Montgomery Inn delivers across the country!  You can order the ribs online and they will arrive perfectly packaged in dry ice.  Just throw them on the grill and dig in – a bib is highly recommended. 


I couldn’t bring back ribs without a dessert, and since my cupcake was a letdown I picked up some of my favorite cookies from The BonBonerie http://www.bonbonerie.com/ (luckily I had an open seat next to me on the plane so they were not ruined in transit).  These cookies not only look great, but they are so delicious too!  They change them up constantly for different holidays and seasons.  When I stopped in they also had basketballs (March Madness) and Clowns (the circus must have been in town), but the basketballs were boring and I am terrified of clowns, so I ended up with the beautiful spring flowers. 








Enjoy!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment