Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baseball Season is Back

I know Opening Day was over a week ago, but it just didn't feel like baseball was back.  This was the first time in years I was not in Cincinnati for Opening Day and I can't even watch them on tv here unless I go to a bar.  In my mind it still felt like spring training.  I went to the Cubs Opening Day at Wrigley, but it felt more like a football game.  It was 38 degrees, grey, and raining.  My friend Jesse was in town from Florida so you can imagine how happy he was to leave 70 degrees to sit in the freezing rain!  To make matters worse, neither of us are Cubs fans!  We only lasted 3 innings.  We may not have even made it that long but we were with a group of die hard fans so we had to stick it out for a little bit.  
Miserable
I receive text alerts on my phone for every scoring play during Reds games, but it still didn't feel like baseball season.  That quickly changed on my trip to Texas this past week.  I went to the opening game for the Round Rock Express.  They are a Triple A affiliate of the Texas Rangers.  Now this was a far cry from the opening day I am used to in Cincinnati, but it was amazing!  The picture makes the ball park seem much bigger than actual size.
Dell Diamond
I arrived about an hour before game time and purchased a ticket for $12 - first row next to the visitors dugout. They were playing the Iowa Cubs an affiliate of the Chicago Cubs so I sat by them.  Not that I am or will ever be a Cubs fan, but it was between Chicago and Texas so I figured I'd cheer for the team where I currently reside.  Before the game I took a stroll around the stadium.  I loved that each concession stand had a different name yet the food was the exact same at all locations.  There was a swimming pool at the entrance! That was new to me.  A fraternity had rented out that area (obviously).  Then I went down to my seat to enjoy the game.  It was so great - the players came over and said hi while they were warming up and made sure to talk with all the kids.  I understand this is the minor leagues, but I loved it.  Such a relaxed atmosphere and very intimate.  Overall I really enjoyed my first minor league experience and can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment