Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SoHo Delicious

My cousin recently got married in New York.  I decided to take advantage of this event and go up there for an entire week turning it into a little vacation.  This gave me plenty of time to hit up some cupcakeries.  I was initially given a list of close to 40 places in the New York metro area.  I love cupcakes, but 40 is not quite feasible for a 7 day trip.  I was able to make it to 4 based on where I was at the time and if I was in the mood for sweets (which was most of the time).  You will see all of those reviews over the next few posts. 

The first stop I made was at Baked by Melissa(bakedbymelissa.com) in SoHo.  Unlike most places, these ladies were operating out of a window on the side of a building.  That is one way to battle the rent of NewYork!  As always I like to observe all of the flavors for quite awhile so I end up with the best possible cupcake.  Since they were operating out of a window it really cut down my decision making time.  I felt serious pressure when I arrived at the front of the line.  They had a picture of some of the varieties hanging on the side so I could evaluate while in line, but the pictures unfortunately weren't that appealing. 
These cupcakes are super mini, so I ended up with a flight of 3 - PB&J, S'mores, and Chocolate Chip Pancake. 
PB&J - I can't really separate the icing from the cake, because they were so small.  Literally they are a single bite cupcake.  This was a yellow cake topped with obviously, peanut butter and jelly.  Loved it.  The cake was perfect and it had just the right amount of PB&J.  There wasn't any icing at all.  PB&Js are one of my all time favorite sandwiches, so I absolutely loved having it as a bite size cupcake. 
S'mores - Again, I can't really separate the two, but this was a chocolate cake with chocolate icing topped with marshmallow and graham cracker.  So good!  This was the perfect bite sized combination.  Just the right amount of all ingredients.  It was just like having a real S'mores sans fire. 

Chocolate Chip Pancake - I was with my friend, Mike, and he had this one.  As I mentioned above these are so small, so there is no room for sharing.  He did say it was delicious which I don't doubt since the others were amazing.

I go back and forth on the presentation.  They are so small and cute that I love them, but it is hard to present them in an appealing way.  While at the register I was totally skeptical, but luckily it was a pleasant surprise.  Creativity - very creative.  I have never seen cupcakes SO small before which was great and also the flavors were fairly unique.  Overall happiness - highly satisfied.  I would absolutely return to Baked by Melissa.  The flavors were outstanding and I loved that I could try so many due to their small size.  It is like a tapas take on cupcakes!  These would be perfect to take to a party.

I will definitely go back next time I am in the big apple!

Enjoy!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment