Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Battling Michigan

While in Battle Creek Michigan I stopped into Food Dance (fooddance.net) for breakfast.  Food Dance is a restaurant with a market/bakery attached.  After breakfast I was browsing the bakery when I came across these puppies.  
I was a little intimidated upon first glance, but I had to try one.  They had Vanilla/Vanilla and Chocolate/Chocolate - makes it pretty easy on a girl as indecisive as me!  They had one on the top of the counter with a sparkler in it (they wouldn't give me that one).  I loved the idea though..note to self for next 4th of July!  For whatever reason I went with the Chocolate/Chocolate.
1) the cake - not the best flavor.  A little too rich for my liking.  2) the icing - again, didn't love it.  If you can't tell from the picture there was WAY too much on there.  Almost looks like an ice cream cone. 3) Presentation - I did enjoy the look.  I thought they all looked nice in the case.  Unfortunately they looked a little better than they tasted.  4) creativity - not so much 5) overall happiness - not very happy.  This really wasn't a great cupcake.  Will have to pass on trying the vanilla/vanilla.
This cupcake traveled back to Chicago with me, but as you can see it didn't have the best carrier.  If you are going to put that much icing on a cupcake at least order packaging that is big enough!


Now, I won't be going back to Food Dance for their cupcakes, but luckily their market carried a few things that I absolutely love!!
First, Chicago's very own Voges chocolate bars! Pictured above is the best I have had as it combines two of my favorite things - bacon and chocolate.  Sounds crazy, I know.  It is outstanding.  I highly recommend trying one!
Second, Jeni's Ice Cream!  I lived in Columbus, OH for a year (home to Jeni's) and fell in love with this ice cream!  The combinations much like Voges are absolutely ridiculous and surprisingly delicious.  mmm 
Lastly, a book I recently read - Blood, Bones, & Butter.  This is Manhattan Chef Gabrielle Hamilton's memoir.  If you like food and you like to read then I highly recommend this one.  

While the cupcakes weren't worthy of a second tasting, Food Dance had so many things I enjoy so I will be sure to return!

xo
J

(thanks to google images for some of the pics)

No comments:

Post a Comment