Monday, June 20, 2011

A true friend....

...will travel with a cupcake for you.  As you know I travel quite often, and I generally grab a cupcake on the way to the airport and eat it once I get to the gate.  This can be terribly annoying when going through security.  I never want to put the cupcake in one of my carry-ons (especially if they have poor containers), so I am always juggling my luggage, trying to get my laptop out of my bag, get out my bag of liquids, and slide off my shoes - all while trying to keep my cupcake in tact.  


Recently, my dear friend Katie took a trip to our nation's capital.  I may have mentioned to her a couple times that Georgetown Cupcake (georgetowncupcake.com) is located in DC and I have wanted to try one of their cupcakes since first seeing them on TV (DC Cupcakes).  Lucky for me she had some down time and is an amazing friend.  She stood in line at GC for 25 minutes and picked up 2 of their monthly specials, white chocolate raspberry and orange blossom.  Katie had the white chocolate raspberry and then being a great friend she brought the orange blossom all the way back to Chicago for me!! (picture me singing the Golden Girls theme song to her).
Quite the line!
They make you stare at them while you wait!
Orange Blossom: 

1) the cake - very good!  Now, Katie brought this back on a Friday - I had plans that night so I did not get around to eating the cupcake until Saturday.  It was SLIGHTLY dry, but that was my own fault so I will just assume it would have been just right had I eaten it in DC.  It was a vanilla cupcake with orange zest in the mix.  The consistency was a little thick.  I personally would have liked a little more orange flavor.  2) the icing - orange infused vanilla cream cheese - awesome.  It was soft and airy and reminded me of a Flintstones pushup.  HUGE fan of this icing.  3) presentation - after making the trip from DC to Chi this cupcake was still in good shape (nice work brooks!).  It had a large swirl of icing and then topped with a candied orange peel.  From the looks of it I think there was too much icing, but it was delicious so I wasn't too upset about it.  4) creativity - This was definitely creative.  I don't see orange cupcakes very often, and it is one of their seasonal ones so I was pretty excited about trying it. 5) overall happiness - very happy!  As mentioned above it was a little dry, but I am sure it would have been much better fresh off the rack.  I don't have any trips planned to DC in the near future, but whenever I get up there I would hit up Georgetown Cupcake.

White chocolate Raspberry:  Since Katie had this one, I will officially introduce her as my first guest blogger!

Thanks Jenny!  First, I would obviously do anything for you since you are an amazing friend!  1.) the cake was good.  I personally am not a fan of any chunks in my cupcake but seeing as how this was rasberry this cake had a slightly chunky texture that although good, was not my favorite.  However, the overall flavor of the cake was great.  2.) White chocolate buttercream icing.  I LOVE buttercream icing and the combo of the white chocolate with rasberry cake was DELICIOUS.  While Jenny may have thought there was too much icing I couldn't get enough! 3.) Presentation was clean and lovely.  It almost aired on the side of boring but it looked good and tasted good so I'll give good marks here.  4.) Creativity - I'm pretty sure I've seen this type of cupcake before but it was certainly a little more creative than your standard Red Velvet, etc. and it was the perfect flavor to start off the summer season! 5.) Overall happiness was definitely up there.  After my long meeting in DC ;), I was starved and definitely craving something sweet.  It was a delicious cupcake and worth the 25 minute wait.  I would definitely recommend going to Georgetown Cupcake if you're in the area followed by a light lunch and some shopping along the main strip!
Double reco for Georgetown Cupcake!


xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment