Friday, June 3, 2011

sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet

On a recent trip back to Cincinnati I was determined to find a decent cupcake shop.  It was driving me crazy that I didn't know of a great cupcakery in my very own hometown.  Thanks to my friends at yelp I found Sugar Cupcakery (www.sugarcupcakery.com) in Milford.  This little gem is on Main St right across from 20 brix (great burger and extensive wine list - highly recommended).  I already had a full day planned with my dear friend Brittany, but I was able to convince her to take a break with me and shoot over to Milford.  We were very curious to see what Sugar had to offer because they are an organic bakery and mostly vegan!  Don't get me wrong I have a serious love for Whole Foods and the organic world, but vegan cupcakes?? Unfortunately when we arrived we were filled with disappointment because Sugar is CLOSED on MONDAYS!  As you can imagine I was not happy - to think someone wouldn't want a cupcake on a Monday, preposterous!  When I awoke on Tuesday, I still had images of vegan cupcakes dancing in my head so I trekked it all the way back to Milford, and I am so happy I went back. The lady at the counter could not have been nicer.  I told her how I had come out on Monday only to find out they were closed, so she gave me my cupcakes for free!  
They offered mini cupcakes so I was able to try 2 flavors!  My first choice was Blackberry (vegan).  I had never seen a blackberry cupcake so I obviously had to try it.  1) the cake - it had a muffin like texture.  I'm not sure if this was because it was vegan or if it was the grain of the blackberry.  I really enjoyed the actual flavor, but not a huge fan of the consistency.  2) the icing - Again, I really liked the flavor, but the consistency wasn't for me.  The blackberries made it rather crunchy and I just didn't enjoy that.  3) presentation - cute, tiny, perfect.  I love cupcakes that have just a dollop of icing on top.  4) creativity - they get serious creative points for this one.  This was the first blackberry cupcake I have ever seen and have yet to see one since.  I love fruit flavored cupcakes, but normally they are strawberry, lemon, and sometimes orange - never blackberry.  5) overall happiness - surprisingly very happy.  I had no idea what to expect, but really liked the cake.  The flavor was very light and refreshing, and my only complaint would be the crunchiness of the blackberries.  
I was in Cincinnati for my dad's birthday, so to honor him my second choice was a chocolate truffle cupcake (the man LOVES chocolate).  1) the cake - great flavor, but semi dry.  2) the icing - A-MA-ZING!  It was a milk chocolate truffle icing and it was so delicious I was thinking about it days later.  It was just like the center of a Lindt truffle.  perfection.  3) presentation - same as the blackberry.  Tiny dollop of icing which is simple and perfect.  4) creativity - normally i would say a chocolate/chocolate cupcake isn't very creative, but the truffle icing took it to a new level.  I don't see many truffle cupcakes which is disappointing.  5) overall happiness - so happy.  My only disappointment here is that I had a mini cupcake and not the full size.  Next time I am back home I will be sure to stop in and pick up a chocolate truffle cupcake from Sugar Cupcakery.  
If you have read any of my previous posts, you know that cupcake transportation can be a huge issue for me.  Nothing worse than a cupcake rolling around in a box that is too big to hold it.  I was ecstatic when Sugar provided cupcake carriers for MINI CAKES!  That never happens, ever.  Huge bonus points!  


Sugar is open until 10PM on Friday and Saturday so if you are looking to plan date night, dinner at 20 brix followed by a cupcake at Sugar sounds like a delightful evening.  If you aren't planning a date night but looking for some sweets be sure to stop by Sugar.  It will absolutely be on my list of "go-to's" when I am home!

xo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment