Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy 4th!

What better way to celebrate the 4th than with a batch of cupcakes?  These past couple weeks have been quite crazy for me as I bounced around the country, but the few days I spent in Chicago allowed me to get back in the kitchen.  I decided to get in the spirit of the holiday and whip up a fan favorite - red velvet with cream cheese icing.  For this recipe I turned to one of my favorite food network stars, Mrs. Paula Deen!
Love her! (photo thanks to google)
The cake:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used unbleached)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (I used crushed sea salt)
1 tsp cocoa powder (so i used approx 3 tablespoons because 1 tsp seemed so small)
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk (room temp)
2 large eggs (room temp)
2 tbsp red food coloring
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

First, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.  In a separate bowl beat oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.  Once mixed gradually add the dry ingredients until smooth.  Pour evenly into cupcake holders and toss in the oven.  

Bake for 18 minutes at 350 degrees.  Let cool for about 2 minutes then remove cupcakes from tray and place on cooling rack.  Let cool completely before icing!

The icing:
8oz cream cheese - softened
1 stick butter - softened
1 tsp vanilla
roughly 3 cups powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together until smooth.

Comments:  I still think it could have used a little more cocoa.  The original recipe says to bake 20-22 minutes.  I left mine in slightly over 20 as I wasn't watching them closely and I personally think they were a little dry.  I would start checking at 16 minutes.  On the icing - you will want to mix the first three ingredients and slowly add the powdered sugar.  I kept tasting after each cup to get the sweetness level I preferred.  I probably ended up using close to 4 cups on this batch. 

How great is this Red Velvet Cupcake wine from Whole Foods!?!  A perfect pairing for the holiday.  

Enjoy!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment