Thursday, February 9, 2012

NYC Round 2

If you recall, the last time I was in New York I tried to hit up several bakeries to give the big city a fair shot.  I had all intentions of doing this on my last trip, but I had a crazy schedule and there wasn't much down time for cupcake testing.  I was only able to get to 2 places, and they weren't even intentional.  

The first, unfortunately, I don't remember the name.  I was staying at the Gansevoort Park Hotel and had just returned from a night out on the town.  My friend Mike and I decided to continue the party at the Gansevoort's Rooftop bar.  As the party died down, we of course, went out searching for late night.  We ended up at a store across the street from the hotel and right in front of my face was a beautiful cupcake counter.  You'll have to remember that this was roughly 3AM so it could have looked like total dog crap and I would have thought it was high quality.
This guy was fantastic, all dressed up in his chef outfit.  He had a great attitude for putting up with the late night crowd.  I went with the chocolate chip cookie dough.  The problem with getting a cupcake at 3AM is that sweets are the last thing I want.  I am 90% sure we also ordered gyros, but for some reason I don't have any pictures of those...
I didn't end up trying the cupcake til mid day the following day.  I remember not liking it very much.  My educated review is to definitely go party at the Gansevoort Rooftop but don't get a late night cupcake at the shop across the street :)


The rest of the weekend was a whirlwind of events, but I was able to run to Crumbs before heading to LGA.  Normally I wouldn't want to go to a chain - especially in NYC, but I had never been and there was one just a couple blocks north of the hotel.  


Upon walking in, the first thing I noticed was that the cupcakes are HUGE.  The second thing I noticed - they put the calories next to each cupcake.  This can't be good for business.  The worst by far as the Blackbottom Cheesecake Brownie Cupcake at 1090 calories.  I would love to know who sees that and then orders one.  
I decided on the white hot chocolate.  
It was a standard yellow cake which was delicious!  It had a light icing with white chocolate chips and marshmallows. I really liked the icing as well.  Overall I found the cupcake to be misleading because it did not taste like white hot chocolate.  It was good, but needs a new name.  There was also something in the middle which I didn't love.  I am not exactly sure what it was, but I am not a fan of fillings.  I also only had about 2 bites.  I couldn't bring myself to eat anymore after such a crazy weekend.
I did pick up a tray of minis to bring back to Chicago to share.  I had a few and really liked the ones I tried.  My friend Katie also said each flavor she tried was great.  
I would definitely go back, but maybe now I will try the Chicago Crumbs to see if it compares.


enjoy!
j

No comments:

Post a Comment